Having guests on the weekends is a great way excuse to make a big breakfast. My husband and I have a big breakfast at least one day of the weekend. It is a nice way for us to catch a few moments together and let us reconnect after a busy week. We always eat our big breakfast at the table, dog snuggled at our feet and end with our bellies bursting full.
This particular breakfast treat only seems to be made when we have guests, since it is easily made into a large portion. It is a great way to use up old loaf bread and it looks pretty enough that your guests will never know that it took only a bit of time. This breakfast can be made the night before so that you can enjoy your time with your guests. Be sure to use a good baking apple, like those recommended in my last post. You want the apples to soften in the oven.
If you have a favorite recipe for the egg mixture portion of french toast, feel free to use that. I love a recipe that is adapted from BHG and have used this one to make the recipe.
Baked Apple Cinnamon French Toast – serves 48 – 1 inch thick slices of French bread 4 eggs 1 cup milk 4 tbsp sugar 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon 1/2 tsp nutmeg 2 tsp vanilla extract 3 medium baking apples 6 tbsp sugar 1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1. Spray pan with cooking spray or grease with butter depending on your preference.
2. Place french bread slices in 13×9 pan
3. Mix eggs, milk, 4 tbsp sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract in bowl and pour over bread in baking pan.
4. Peel, core and slice apples as thin as possible and layer on top of bread and egg mixture.
5. In a small bowl mix 6 tbsp of sugar and 1 tsp sugar. Sprinkle half of mixture over the apples.
6. Place remaining apples on top and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture.
7. At this point, either place in the fridge overnite or until egg mixture is absorbed (approx. 1 hour)
7. Bake uncovered for 35 minutes.
If you wanted to make this treat even more decadent, you could slice the bread into 16, 1/2 inch slices and start by placing 8 down in the pan. Mix one softened 8 oz package of cream cheese with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and spread over layer of bread. Place remaining slices of bread on top of cream cheese mixture. Continue as directed in step 3.